Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions

From: Nix
Subject: Re: Proposal to improve the nomenclature of scrolling directions
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 18:18:04 +0000

On 8 Nov 2012, Eli Barzilay verbalised:

>> Ah. That's an interesting variation. Controlled by (setq
>> scroll-in-place 'unmoving) perhaps? (It should probably hide the
>> cursor while it's conceptually offscreen as well, on terminals where
>> that's possible, by flipping cursor-type to nil. Alas this would
>> make it vanish from non-selected windows too, if
>> cursor-in-non-selected-windows is t...)
>
> (This sounds like something that would be harder to do, since there
> are lots of things that relate to the point position which would
> break.  Maybe a better way to do that is some specific event loop
> while scrolling that aborts before any other key is processed, but
> that would make the code different.  But what do I know...)

Yes, you have to do it like that. Point is always on-screen: this
assumption is wired into all sorts of places and can never change. But
what we *can* do is make point invisible after a motion command (pure
motion only, not e.g. isearch, which means scroll-*-command only) that
should leave point offscreen, then detect any *other* command (in the
same way that e.g. `repeat' does) and jump back to where we were at the
start of this chain of scroll commands, emptying the SIP-last-scroll
lists and making point visible again.

--
NULL && (void)