Re: file://host/location URLs

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: file://host/location URLs
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 18:16:06 +0100

Stephen J. Turnbull writes:
> I disagree.  To me, it's the obvious RFC-standardized way to write an
> ssh/scp/sftp URL[1] for fetching a file from a specific host, where
> the user of the URL is expected to be able to access the same file
> system on that host as the writer, but without constraining the user
> to a possibly inconvenient transport protocol.

Yes, and that is what I use them for: if I need to point to a file that
resides on a specific host that I may or may not have direct access to
depending on where I am, then specifying that resource as a non-local
file URI is mightily convenient.  If it resolves to localhost then it
should be a normal file access, if the target file system is already
mounted or reachable via a network file system, then I'd like to use
that access path and if all else fails, then try scp, ssh or ftp or even
avian carrier (see RFC1149/2549).

If there's anything to fix in Emacs then it is its insistence to only
try FTP for those (if I always wanted to use FTP then I'd use an FTP
URI).  If it warned users about obviously malformed URIs and offered
sensible corrections that would also be nice.

Regards,
Achim.