Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2012 19:02:27 -0500

    That's absurd. Software freedom should never be at odds with
    interoperability. Freedom and trust are inseparable. You can't use
    free software to make paternalistic decisions about non-free software
    for the user.

We use the GNU GPL to make sure that our code is not included in
nonfree programs that violate users' freedom.  We develop software as
a campaign for freedom, and recognizing that some people might try to
include it in nonfree combinations, we use copyleft to stop them.

This is what we are doing here.  If you think standing up for freedom
is "paternalistic", you don't have to participate.

There is a lot of other confusion in your message.  Some of it is easy
to explain: for instance, contrasting free software with commercial
software.  (See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html.)
Some of it would require long analysis, such as the values and goals
that show through in the words.

What is clear is that you hate copyleft so much that you would relish
our defeat simply to replace a copylefted program with a noncopylefted
one.  If that is how you feel about the GNU Project, you are entitled
to your views, of course, but don't state them on this list.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation