Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: clang/emacs/ecb/semantic
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2012 06:49:27 -0500

    Shouldn't an effort then be made to create a software license or
    tweak/upgrade an existing one to ensure free software cannot be used in
    ways that go against its very philosophy?

We're limited by copyright law and by 28 years of our own history,
so it is not really an option.

    I understand your wish to ensure free software remains free not matter
    what, but restricting the freedom of users of free software should not
    be the solution; in fact this sounds like a contradiction in itself.

Those words are a paradox, and a misrepresentation of what we do.
Copyleft protects users' essential freedoms, for all users, by
restricting acts by X that might deny essential freedoms to Y.

See http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/copyleft.html for an explanation
of copyleft.

--
Dr Richard Stallman