Deffering redisplay in COMINT

From: Michael Mauger
Subject: Deffering redisplay in COMINT
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2012 17:08:33 -0800 (PST)

I don't believe this is possible, but I figured I'd run it past the brain
trust....

In sql-interactive-mode, a derivative of comint, I will submit a SELECT
statement that returns many very long rows (2000+ characters per line).  The
redisplay fireworks that follow are impressive but slow.   As text streams to
the buffer with `auto-hscroll-mode' enabled the screen flashes as it redraws
the buffer with more lines of data and scrolled horizontally in different
places until all the data stream is complete.

I have figured out how to turn off horizontal scrolling with a
`comint-preoutput-filter-function' and a `pre-command-hook' for the duration of
SQL command so the redisplay is limited to a slow march straight down the page
without the intervening horizontal scrolling but the column number in the mode
line going crazy.  I've also discovered that if I switch to another buffer so
that the SQL buffer is not displayed and then switch back, the SQL buffer is
populated very quickly.  (That is, Emacs can fetch the results quickly, it just
can't redraw it quickly a couple of hundred times)

So what I'm asking: Is there a way (say by setting `inhibit-redisplay' to t)
for the duration of the comint command and then restoring redisplay when I am
at the prompt at the end.  The trick that I use for `auto-hscroll-mode' won't
work because I don't find out about the completion until the user causes an
event.  I understand also that I don't want to universally block redisplay in
case I switch to another buffer while the comint command is running and I want
to interact with another buffer (i.e., I want to inhibit redisplay in that
buffer only--buffer-local inhibit-redisplay).  Looking at comint.el and based
on my understanding of how processes are handled, I don't believe that it is
easy to do because I don't know when the output is complete.  (I've noticed in
my disable auto-hscroll-mode code that the comint-preoutput-filter-function
will get called a couple of hundred times with chunks of the output.  I'm
probably getting a redisplay after
 each chunk.)

My only thought is that I could route the output to a temp buffer until I see
the prompt at the end of a chunk (ala the comint redirection code, a very
non-Emacs 20+ way of doing things), and then move the output to the original
buffer.  Essentially buffering the output until it's complete.  Thoughts?  Am I
missing an obvious hook?  (pre-command isn't it, it fires only on input, unless
I can feed input to it to force it when done)

Am I SOL?