Replacing the `elpa' branch

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Replacing the `elpa' branch
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2013 15:33:50 -0500

As many of you know, the `elpa' branch is kind of sick: while the branch
itself is actually fine, Bzr chokes on it when doing the initial
checkout (the checkout is still possible, if you know the trick).

This bug in Bzr has been reported at least since October 2011 and
still isn't fixed, so given the lack of development of Bazaar, we can
mostly assume it won't be fixed.

We could rewrite the `elpa' branch, throwing away the crucial info that
triggers the bug, but it's an info I'd like to keep (it's the merge
metadata that lets us merge from externally maintained branches of elpa
packages).

Luckily there's one way forward: using a Git branch for `elpa'.
Joergen Schaefer and John Wiegley are working at producing a Git
branch that preserves the metadata we currently have in `elpa'.

I don't want this to be a discussion about the merits/pitfalls of Git vs
Bzr, and this is not an occasion to discuss the use of Git for the
`trunk' either.  It's just the only way forward to fix this long
standing and embarrassing problem on the `elpa' branch.

I'm not terribly happy about this change, since it means we'll be using
two different tools (Git for `elpa' and Bzr for `trunk'), but I really
see no other way out.  So this is mostly a heads up.
If someone (and no, not someone like Glenn who's already busy enough)
could take care of adjusting the scripts in elpa/admin, that would
be appreciated.

        Stefan