Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: /srv/bzr/emacs/trunk r111840: Port documentation to Texinfo 5.0.
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2013 21:16:11 +0200

> Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2013 13:35:39 -0800
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 02/21/13 11:03, Glenn Morris wrote:
> > I agree; could someone backport the needed changes please?
>
> Done, by backporting trunk bzr 111300 and 111840 into emacs-24.
>
> The problem with the TRAMP User Manual still remains in emacs-24,
> just as it does in the trunk.  If an easy fix to that turns up
> before the final pretest I assume it'll be OK to install it into
> emacs-24; please let me know otherwise.

The problem is with this macro:

  @macro trampfn {method, user, host, address@hidden
  @address@hidden,@address@hidden,@@address@hidden@c
  @end macro

It uses intermediate macros, because the manual calls this macro with
some of its arguments empty, e.g.:

  @trampfn{telnet, , , /usr/local/bin/etc}

and it wants the prefixes and postfixes (@ and :) not to appear when
the corresponding argument is empty.

I think the best way to fix this would be to introduce several macros,
one each for every number of non-empty arguments, and then use each
one as needed.  A bit less convenient, perhaps, but much more
straightforward.

The question is would Michael accept this solution.