Re: 24.3 status update

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: 24.3 status update
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 16:38:34 -0500

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

>>   emacs -q --eval '(global-whitespace-mode t)'
>
> I can't reproduce this in the latest emacs-24 branch.

It'll be more fall out from the trunk changes to
define-globalized-minor-mode, so not surprising.

>> I've also been unable to disable whitespace-mode for a very long time
>> (when disable, it still shows its highlight colors), but I've been
>> too lazy to fill-in a bug report.
>
> I can confirm this bug (in the latest emacs-24 branch).  To reproduce it,
> start emacs as the first invocation above.

Non-lazy people have already been filing bugs about this.
Eg 11333, 11353. I doubt these problems are new, so they don't need
investigating right this minute.

> This show there's non-standard semantics for
> \(global-\)?-whitespace-mode.

The whole thing is over-engineered IMO. Eg 12496.