Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests!

From: Daniel Hackney
Subject: Re: cl-defstruct-based package.el, now with ert tests!
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 04:36:36 +0000 (UTC)

Ted Zlatanov <tzz <at> lifelogs.com> writes:
> Agreed, maybe Daniel can explain why using `tar-mode' was questionable.
> Performance?

The answer is "it seemed yucky." `tar-mode' was clearly not intended to act as
an API for other programs looking to read tar files, so using it as such was
kind of hacky. Using the external "tar" program seems like the cleaner
alternative. Since package.el already uses the external tar program for
`package-tar-file-info', I figured depending on tar for more substantial stuff
was fine. If people really don't want to depend on the external program, I'll
remove it and just use `tar-mode'.

Is there any way to gunzip the data in a buffer without using an external
program? It would be nice to be able to use tar.gz files.