Re: A unified project root interface

From: John Yates
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 21:57:01 -0400

On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 6:50 PM, David Engster <address@hidden> wrote:
>> - Define a (project-root) that simply returns (and
>>   ede-object-root-project (ede-project-root-directory
>>   ede-object-root-project))
>
> That's for the maintainers to decide. I have a hunch they'd like to have
> an ede- prefix...
>> - Ask authors of extensions to use (ede-minor-mode 1) in their mode
>>   function and simply use that function in their modes.
>
> Not sure if it's a good idea to enable EDE behind the user's back; I
> think they should enable it in their init file if they want to have
> project support.

I took the sense of the OP to be that the concept of a project-root
deserved to become part of the core set of emacs concepts unrelated to
optional packages e.g. much as file and directory local variables.
Once the concept gets pulled into the core extension author simply
assume existence of project-root functionality without needing to have
to enable in any particular way.

/john