Re: Emacs 24.3 windows binaries are available

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs 24.3 windows binaries are available
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 05:58:26 +0200

> From: chad <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 15:41:50 -0700
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden>
>
> For what it's worth, I just fielded a question from a friend who
> read README.W32, downloaded the libraries from ezwinports (thanks,
> Eli!), but then wasn't sure what to do with them.  I barely ever
> use Windows, so while I was able to help my friend get a working
> emacs, I'm not at all sure that my advice (pull the interesting
> .dll files out of the zipfiles and put them in emacs/bin) was the
> right solution.

It is one possibility, yes, although then most probably only Emacs
will be able to use them (unless Emacs's bin directory is on PATH).

> For the purpose of things like gnutls and libxml, does `install'
> mean `unzip'?

They are provided as .zip files, so what else could that mean?

> Is there a recommended place to put things like these
> if you want them only for running emacs?

Like you told your friend.  But I rather recommend installing them in
a public place, with things in bin being placed on PATH.

> Are the other zipfile contents (include, share, lib, and the rest of
> bin) necessary or useful to someone who's just looking to run emacs?

I don't exactly understand what that means (e.g., are programs run
_from_ Emacs of interest for such a person?), and I don't see why
would someone care enough to try to install only portions of those
distros.  Just install everything and be done -- it's both easier and
faster, and will make sure that whatever package needs these libraries
will find them.  For example, your friend might want the documentation
files if he/she wants to customize one of the packages for whatever
reasons.

> I'm asking here rather than a help channel in the hope that I'll
> be able to compile the responses and suggest a documentation change,
> if one is warranted.

The above is actually common knowledge for Windows users, which is why
there's nothing about installation on the ezwinports site.  The zip
files are structured such that everything should "just work" once
unzipped.