Re: A unified project root interface

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: A unified project root interface
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2013 08:57:16 -0400

>> That might require splitting EIEIO, or some other approach, maybe,
>> I don't know.
> I don't think that's a practical approach. In EDE, a project *is* a
> class.

[ Actually, there are various reasons to split EIEIO, one of them would
  be to try and fix the eval-and-compile mess.  ]

> I would however like to ask if such a 'project-root' feature is
> absolutely needed right at startup time. I'm not sure about the overhead
> involved when loading files, which might be annoying to people who don't
> need it. OTOH, we already have vc-find-file-hook enabled by default,
> which I guess renders such questions moot...

Right, one possible approach is to try and delay the use of
project-root, as is done for VC: have a preloaded ede-hooks.el file
which is just enough to try and detect projects that use EDE, and then
only load EDE if/when opening a file in such a project.

        Stefan