Re: Proposal: emacsclient --readonly

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Proposal: emacsclient --readonly
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2013 22:33:41 -0400

> In the C code, if there are any unrecognized options they will be sent over
> as a -custom option followed by the non-option parameters as -args

I'm not sure I understand right, but it doesn't sound like it's going
a direction I like: I'd like to reduce the difference between the
C-level command line argument vector received by emacsclient and the
list of strings received by server.el.

> On the server side, the elisp will call the handler for each -custom option
> and pass the args along with it.

The --diff and --eval options don't take just one "argument", which is
why I don't want to hardcode this idea of a "--option ARG" format.

> The other required change will be to break out some of the file processing
> so that the logic can be reused in custom options.

> * file-name generation

> * visit a file

> This will make the change more complex but won't really alter the
> behavior, just refactor it so it's more useful to custom options.

Refactoring sounds fine.

        Stefan