Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 04:08:21 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> The core of the problem is bidirectional merging.
>> If I understand what you mean by "bidirectional merging", then monotone
>> handles it nicely (http://www.monotone.ca/).
>
> By bidirectional merging, I mean that you have two parallel branches
> that should be kept in sync, so that any commit on branch A should be
> sync'd to branch B and vice versa.  Yet branch A and branch B are not
> identical (there's a "constant" diff between the two).

Ah. That is not what I thought.

A use case for this would be support for old Emacs versions in the
upstream of an Emacs feature, but only the current Emacs in the Emacs
trunk.

monotone does not handle that directly; it would be an interesting
feature to add. But it would make more sense to add it to git.

--
-- Stephe