Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files

From: Steve Youngs
Subject: Re: Abolishing ChangeLog files
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2013 10:23:10 +1000

* David Engster <address@hidden> writes:

  > Indeed. That's why I wrote the time consuming thing is "fixing" those
  > generated ChangeLogs, like

  > - combining changes to the same file (and maybe function) which stretch
  >   over several commits,

Having logs line up with commits is normally more of a benefit than an
annoyance IMO.

  > - removing further explanations which are fine in commit logs but not in
  >   ChangeLogs,

Don't be afraid of verbosity in logs. :-)

  > - putting ChangeLogs entries in the right places (I have to deal with
  >   five different ChangeLogs: etc/, admin/, doc/misc, lisp/, and finally
  >   lisp/cedet),

Move to a single log model and then never have to worry about this step
again.

  > - and many more smaller things; sometimes commit logs just don't have
  >   the proper format.

I've not ever found a time when it didn't.

  > Much of this stuff could be automated, though.

The biggest obstacle is getting your developers to DTRT at commit time,
and once you get that down pat, it is smooth sailing from there on. :-)

--
|---<Steve Youngs>---------------<GnuPG KeyID: A94B3003>---|
|       SXEmacs - The only _______ you'll ever need.       |