Re: (0 <= i && i < N) is not "backwards"

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: Re: (0 <= i && i < N) is not "backwards"
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 22:45:52 +0100

Paul Eggert wrote:
> Emacs trunk bzr 112126, installed with the commit log
> "Reorder conditions that are written backwards",
> changed a lot of Emacs code, typically to replace expressions
> like "0 < i" with expressions like "i > 0".
>
> This sort of stylistic change shouldn't be introduced without
> discussion.  I often prefer "<", as it causes textual

I was surprised to see that commit, and came to this list to find
the discussion that happened prior to the global style conversion.
Considering that there was no discussion, a snap revert would be fair.

Full disclosure: I too prefer the "use < and <= everywhere" style,
and mention it in the GNU coreutils' HACKING guidelines:

  http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/coreutils.git/tree/HACKING#n412

Jim