Re: WINDRES

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: WINDRES
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 13:36:18 +0300

> Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:00:05 +0100
> From: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> On 4/1/13 10:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > The windres tool is looked up by the configure.ac using
> > AC_CHECK_TOOL.  Shouldn't that be AC_CHECK_TARGET_TOOL instead, to
> > better support cross-compilation?
>
> That would be a fine change, but I haven't tested cross-compilation
> of the cygw32 build at all, I'm not sure whether it works at all.

Even if cross-compilation currently doesn't work (and I'm not sure
either way), I think there's no harm removing one obstacle on its way.

> Is there any particular reason you're wondering about windres right
> now?

I'm modifying the Emacs Posix configury to be able to produce the
MinGW build.  As a side effect, I'm reading the docs of every autoconf
macro that I didn't use before (which is quite a lot ;-), to make sure
I understand what I'm doing.  In this case, I was surprised to see
AC_CHECK_TOOL instead of AC_CHECK_PROG, so I looked it up.

I will wait for autoconf experts here to chime in, before making the
change to use AC_CHECK_TARGET_TOOL on the trunk.