Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: Using glib's g_file_monitor_file and g_file_monitor_directory
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 16:46:26 -0400

EZ> You mean, the memory footprint of "emacs -Q"?  If so, I'm surprised it
EZ> is so large.

Not -Q; what is actually used is more relevant.  I did just try -q -nox
though on the workstation.  That reduces the startup VM to 270M, for a
more fair comparison to what I run on the servers.  (I don't copy my
main .emacs over to them; they have radically different needs.)

EZ> Perhaps this includes all the libraries mapped into the program?

Yes.

EZ> If so, I don't think you should count them, because other X
EZ> programs are likely to share them, at least in part.

On GUI systems, but the point was to keep the ram and disk footprints
small -- or at least no larger then they already are -- on headless
systems, which wouldn't have anything else linking in glib.

EZ> The 32-bit w32 Emacs starts at 13M, FWIW.

The datapoint is welcome.

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6