Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 16:34:31 -0500

>Making a program GNU software means that its developers and the GNU
>project agree that "This program is part of the GNU project, released
>under the aegis of GNU"--and say so in the program.
>
>This means that we normally put the program on ftp.gnu.org (although
>we can instead refer to your choice of ftp site, as long as it allows
>connections from anyone anywhere).
>
>This means that the official site for the program should be on
>www.gnu.org, specifically in /software/PROGRAMNAME.  Whenever you give
>out the URL for the package home page, you would give this address.
>It is ok to use another site for secondary topics, such as pages meant
>for people helping develop the package, and for running data bases.
>(We can make an exception and put the web pages somewhere else if
>there is a really pressing reason.)

Bazaar's home page is http://bazaar.canonical.com/.

This is what the "Home Page" link from https://launchpad.net/bzr says
(i.e., from the community's accepted development home page).

The README [1] at the top of the Bazaar source does not reference
gnu.org at all, let alone "http://www.gnu.org/software/bazaar";.

The README's recommended download link and documentation links are all
at canonical.com.

In fact, if you browse to http://www.gnu.org/software/bazaar, it
redirects you to http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/.  Actually, it first
redirects you to http://bazaar-vcs.org/, via a refresh:

but bazaar-vcs.org now redirects to http://bazaar.canonical.com/en/, so
that's where you end up.

So I assume there was a "really pressing reason", because GNU is
actively cooperating with Bazaar in having Bazaar's home page be
somewhere other than gnu.org.  What that reason is, I don't know.

There are other respects in which Bazaar does not meet the normal
standards you quoted, Richard, but I'm not bothering to list them here.
They are easy to discover if you care to devote the investigation time,
and if it's not worth your time it's certainly not worth mine.  As far
as I can tell, the only really meaningful way in which Bazaar is a "GNU
project" is that GNU Emacs currently uses it.

-Karl

[1] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~bzr-pqm/bzr/bzr.dev/view/head:/README