Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:44:43 -0500

> Are you saying that the project should choose its VCS because you personally
> use it exclusively, or because you personally don't want to learn a new UI?

Hi Eli,

I was giving my personal reasons for starting up this thread.  What's best for
the project is a separate matter, and if you ask me I think it should be put
to a vote among those of us who contribute to Emacs' development.

As a data point: if Emacs does decide on Git, I'll become a more active
contributor again; if it doesn't, I have other things to do.  Bzr/Mercurial is
enough of a "joy-stealing" barrier that -- like now -- I would not be
interested in submitting my work upstream.  And this same situation is true
for some others as well, as evidenced by voices on this mailing list.

If that counts for little, then OK, it counts for little.  But there is room
for expressing preferences here, since this is a volunteer effort, and not a
faceless enterprise.

With respect,
  John