Re: Recent read-face patch breaks `M-x customize-face'

From: Roland Winkler
Subject: Re: Recent read-face patch breaks `M-x customize-face'
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 16:22:02 -0500

On Sat Apr 6 2013 Stefan Monnier wrote:
> Just for the record: the reason for this "all faces" argument is so that
> M-x customize-face prompts with "Customize face (default `all faces'):"

...This is the previous behavior that any string value of DEFAULT
(unless it gets magically overridden by a "face at point") gets
displayed as default in the prompt. But if this value of DEFAULT is
not a face, it is ignored in the end, that is, read-face-name
returns nil. Instead of "all faces", one could use also "Hello
World" to get the same final result.

This behavior of read-face-name appears a bit of a kludge to me,
though I understand the rationale for this in the context of
customize-face. But at least such behavior needs to be documented in
the doc string of read-face-name.

I'd prefer if customize-face called read-face-name with DEFAULT
being nil and a prompt that said something like

  "Customize face (use `' for `all faces')"

But this doesn't work with the current code of read-face-name that
may replace a DEFAULT value of nil by a "face at point".
Removing this magic from read-face-name would require in turn that
commands such as make-face-bold call face-at-point for a reasonable
value of DEFAULT. In my humble opinion, this appears to be the
cleanest solution.

Roland