Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On the subject of Git, Bazaar, and the future of Emacs development
Date: Sat, 06 Apr 2013 21:09:03 -0400

> in ways big or small, I learn enough to do so.  But it seems unfair for me to
> say "if you just ported everything to Python, I'd be much more willing to
> contribute".

Whether we like it or not, using popular tools and languages does have
its benefit in terms of broadening the base of potential contributors.

Emacs tends to not be very good on this front, but makes up for it by
making it unusually easy to jump from "the thing I want to change" to
"the code I need to change".

So, it might be the case that using Git would bring us
more contributions.  I don't think this is a big enough consideration to
justify a move, but I think it's worth keeping it in mind, when other
considerations push us to such a move.

        Stefan "who contributed to Svn and Git based projects, using
                bzr-svn and bzr-git, respectively"