Re: split-window as a command

From: Xue Fuqiao
Subject: Re: split-window as a command
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:46:37 +0800

On Fri, 12 Apr 2013 18:54:23 -0700 (PDT)
Rand User <address@hidden> wrote:

> > BTW if the warning is from echo area, it's too long (84 characters in
>
> > this case).  I have a (maybe) better version:
> >
> > This command is obsolete since 24.4; use `C-x 2' instead
>
> Which command is obsolete?

The command you just executed.

Or we can use `split-window' here.

> Also, `C-x 2' looks more like a key sequence than a command name.

Yes.  There are 2 reasons to use `C-x 2' here:

1. It is usually too long to display two command names in the echo area;
(I even want to drop the " since 24.4".)

2. It is more convenient for users to execute the command, since they
won't need to use `describe-function' if they don't know the key
sequence for the command.

We can use `substitute-command-keys' for this feature.

> If something like these obsolete warners are added, I think they should
> only warn once per process and not every time you invoke the command.

Sounds fine to me.

--
Xue Fuqiao
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/