RE: Compressing the Lisp and Info files in the MS-Windows installation

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Compressing the Lisp and Info files in the MS-Windows installation
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 06:23:13 -0700

> > Even though Emacs is bigger now than in the past, I would
> > think that size (download & disk) is generally less of a
> > problem nowadays than it used to be.
>
> Indeed.  But still on Posix platforms, compression is the default
> for some reasons,
> although these same considerations clearly apply there as well.

So the question is clarified from "Should the files be compressed on Windows
also?" to "What should the behavior be on Windows and (what should the behavior
be on) Posix (for Emacs Dev distributions)?".

Helper questions could be "Why is compression the default on Posix?" and "Why is
the _default_ Posix behavior important in deciding whether Emacs Dev compresses
or not for its distribution?"