Re: Integrating new "GNU Emacs Contributing Guide" into Emacs web pages.

From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin
Subject: Re: Integrating new "GNU Emacs Contributing Guide" into Emacs web pages.
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 10:08:17 -0400

Hello Xue,

Assuming you're working from a .org file (since you mentioned
ox-texinfo.el).  If not this will likely not be of any relevance.

> Here is the very first version in Texinfo format.  There are some
> issues:
>
> 1. no EDITION

There is no direct support for exporting variables to texinfo.  If
working directly from the org file at all times, you can replace it
with an Org macro which will serve a similar purpose.

To export the variables to .texi you could do the following:

1. Allow texinfo snippets

   (add-to-list 'org-export-snippet-translation-alist
                '("info" . "texinfo"))

2. Use the following in the document

   #+TEXINFO: @set EDITION <edition>
   #+MACRO: edition @@info:@value{EDITION}@@

   Then use {{{edition}}} anywhere you wish the variable to be
   inserted.

> 2. no @copying

To create a @copying section in the texinfo document you need to
create a headline in the org file with a :copying: property set to a
non-nil value.  It will be inserted at the right location on export
(regardless of where it is found in the org document) and will not
appear anywhere else.

Do not include any subheadings, the exporter will try to export them
as @section/@subsection... which will cause issues.

> 3. no @documentencoding

This is fixed as of commit 'fea4b5c'.  Previously it would only
include @documentencoding if `org-texinfo-coding-system' was set.  Now
it will default to `buffer-file-coding-system'.

> 4. no introduction in Top node

At the moment the closest option (I intend to improve it) is that any
text before the first headline will be in the @top node, however it
will appear after the menu (as opposed to before it).

--
Regards,
Jon