Re: GSoC 2013

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: GSoC 2013
Date: Mon, 06 May 2013 18:54:03 +0900

address@hidden writes:

 > Some of us are making a best effort.

Good for you.  But GSoC is based on orgs, not on individual mentors.

 > The effort doesnt show much on this list because its not here its
 > taking place.

I don't have a problem with that.[1]  I do have a problem with a
situation where students announce moments before the proposal deadline
that they need mentors, and at the last minute a pseudo-org is created.

 > Damirod wrote the proposals etc, and he made a good job.

?? I thought students write proposals?  Do you mean the ideas page?

When I looked at the GNU Project ideas page around the end of the org
application period, I couldn't find any details on Emacs projects (and
the page was pretty scanty overall).

Footnotes:
[1]  I admit I'm curious where it's taking place.  Everything I've
seen on the Google mentors' list indicates it's best practice to
organize the "GSoC (sub)org" (including admin, mentors, and their
backups) on the community's usual dev channels, and explicitly move
evaluation to a private, mentors-only channel.  Opinion is divided on
whether proposals should actually be discussed in public before the
due date.