Re: Bootstrap deleted DOC-nnn file

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Bootstrap deleted DOC-nnn file
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 10:09:02 -0400

        Don't you update from bzr whenever you build?  If so, sorting your
        files by time stamp will show you your previous updates, which
        correspond to your builds.

I wrote:

    Thanks.  This shows that my previous update was Mar 28.
    The bug did not occur in that version.

But since the bug seems to have been introduced on Mar 11,
maybe I did not actually recompile on Mar 28.  Maybe I just
updated the sources without recompiling.  I can't tell.

I could reliably know when I recompiled last, and from which BZR
version, if I had the old executables.

It is no longer crucial for this bug, since its cause is now known.
However, the issue may arise at other times.

In the past, I rarely did make bootstrap.
A simple recompile nearly always worked.  However, the Emacs build
system has got a lot more complex, and a simple recompile usually
does not work; I am effectively compelled to do a bootstrap instead.
I think that is a change for the worse.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation