Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 19:23:13 +0300

> From: Andy Moreton <address@hidden>
> Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 13:23:30 +0100
>
> >> The only new information I have about this issue is that today, after
> >> doing a whole bootstrap and a "make install" (with my MSYS Texinfo, as
> >> always), the resulting Info directory looks good (it has only
> >> UNIX-type EOLs).
> >>
> >> I'm thinking that probably this problem appears when, at the time you
> >> do a "make install", your PREFIX/share/info directory already has some
> >> info manuals with DOS-type EOLs. (For example, the GnuTLS library I
> >> downloaded from ezwinports has an info manual with DOS-type EOLs)
> >>
> >> I think that the other day, while testing things, I deleted all the
> >> files in PREFIX/share/info, and therefore now all the info manuals are
> >> the installed with Emacs, and they have all the same EOL-type: UNIX.
> >
> > But then the problem is not really solved: anyone who would install
> > Emacs into an already populated tree will get the mixed EOLs issue
> > back.
>
> Hi Eli,
>
> This sounds like its a minor enough issue that it could be solved after
> the changes are committed.

Not only is it minor, its solution is perfectly clear: use the native
Windows build of Texinfo.  I will update the instructions accordingly.

> If you are not comfortable doing that yet, could you please post the
> latest version of your patch so I can help test it ?

The above is not what is holding the merge.  I needed to leave the
branch alone for a while, because both GNU Make and Gawk have, or are
about to, release a new version which includes features that needed me
to do some non-trivial coding to support them.  That took a week or
two of my time.

With this out of my way, I need to update the branch to handle the
changes in the configury committed lately to the trunk, to handle the
ACL portability.  (I was actually hoping that something like this
would happen, because I want to see how much effort is needed to make
such adaptations.)  Before I adapt to that change, I cannot merge my
branch onto the trunk, because the result will most probably fail to
compile.  I hope to do that in a couple of days, and then I'll merge
and announce.

Stay tuned, and thanks for encouragement.