Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: MS-Windows build using Posix configury
Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:18:15 +0300

> Date: Thu, 16 May 2013 20:10:05 +0400
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> >> What's going to happen if I disregard this recommendation? Will build
> >> fail?
> >
> > No, I don't think the build will fail.  --prefix is only important for
> > "make install".
>
> If the installation will fail, maybe the prefix should default to some
> reasonable directory within the Emacs tree. Would it be hard to do that?

I see no reason to do that because the build will NOT fail.  In any
case, any such changes should be common to the Posix platforms, where
it would be really unusual to install within the source tree.

> > Why don't you simply run Emacs from src instead?  That is how
> > Emacs is supposed to be run uninstalled.  Otherwise, you will be
> > copying a lot of files for no good reason.
>
> Ah, okay, thanks. That's how I run Emacs on GNU/Linux.

The whole point of this build method is to make the Windows port build
and install as it does on GNU/Linux.

> > And anyway, how is running from trunk/bin related to --prefix?
>
> Technically, it's unrelated, I guess, so this was just a question from
> someone who has been using the NT port for some time. AFAICT, the "make
> install" step is mandatory to running Emacs built that way.

No, you don't need "make install" to run Emacs that was built the old
way on Windows.  You do need to say "make" twice, because only the
second time picks up the updated DOC file.  This nuisance is gone in
the Posix build method.

> Indeed, "mingw-get remove msys-texinfo" seems to have done that.
> If having to remove that package manually (as opposed to not installing
> it) is going to be a common situation, maybe INSTALL.MSYS should reflect
> that.

I added that, thanks.