emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.

From: Randy Yates
Subject: emacs takes exhorbitantly long to read long, one-line files.
Date: Sat, 18 May 2013 23:52:28 -0400

I have a file (a matlab .m file of a vector of data) that is all on
one line and about 2 MB:

  http://www.digitalsignallabs.com/dspin.m

emacs takes a very long time (6 minutes?) to read this in, and
practically becomes unusable in the mean time.

I'm thinking of looking into the code to get an idea of why this happens
and of course look for a fix. If anyone has any pointers or other info
on the problem, please inform me.
--
Randy Yates
Digital Signal Labs