global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps

From: Timur Aydin
Subject: global-auto-revert-mode and file time stamps
Date: Tue, 21 May 2013 16:40:44 +0300

Hi, I have sent this message to help-gnu-emacs, but I thought maybe development list is better, because I am using a development version. Here it goes:

When a file's timestamp has been changed, but the contents are still the
same, what should be the behavior of emacs be? With the emacs that I am
using (development version):

GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.3)
 of 2013-05-01 on bonsai

It thinks the file is changed. Here is what I do:

- Open a file, edit it and then save.

- use the "touch" command to update the time stamp of this file.

- Wait way more than the auto revert interval (which is set to 5 seconds
in my case).

- Try to make a change to the buffer corresponding to this file.

At this point, emacs says that the file has changed and asks whether I
really want to edit it. I was expecting emacs to auto revert this buffer
and allow me to edit it without further questions. So my question is, am
I looking at a bug, or a feature?

--
Timur Aydin