Re: BBDB v3 approaching release

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: BBDB v3 approaching release
Date: Thu, 30 May 2013 10:57:32 -0400

On Thu, 30 May 2013 13:24:48 +0200 "Roland Winkler" <address@hidden> wrote:

RW> On Thu May 30 2013 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
>> Emacs itself uses a different layout and keeps non-lisp files in
>> different directories like etc or info. (Hopefully there are no plans
>> to change that?)

RW> The problem is really that the TeX files generated by bbdb-print
RW> connect two different worlds:

RW> The TeX file is generated by emacs that comes with its search path
RW> and installation tree. But then this TeX file gets compiled by the
RW> TeX command that only knows its own search paths.

RW> And all this happens in a user directory so that everything should
RW> not depend on the absolute directories used by the particular
RW> installations of emacs and TeX.

This may be quite heretical, but have you considered Markdown for the
BBDB docs?  No build systems needed; readable as plain text; convertible
to many other formats with little work; really easy to learn and use.
Emacs can view it.  I've been happy with Markdown for personal and work
use.

The lack of a build system is especially appealing, from experience with
installing hundreds of megabytes for the documentation support toolchain
for Gnus and BBDB.

Ted