Re: Incorrect error message for file operation in Windows

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Incorrect error message for file operation in Windows
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2013 20:11:18 +0300

> Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2013 20:45:25 +0400
> From: Ivanov Dmitry <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden
>
> > Can you describe in detail what do
> > you mean by 'My user doesn't have the right to write to "e:/video"'?
> > What kind of filesystem is on drive E:, and why cannot your user write
> > there?
>
> The filesystem is NTFS. OS: Windows XP SP3. I am working as an ordinary user,
> who can only read from E:\video, and can not write there.

Thanks, but that's not enough info.

Windows XP rarely disallows writing to disk files and directories.
There are 2 possible ways of doing that:

 . Turn on the read-only attribute

 . Set NT security descriptor that denies write access

Since E:\video is a directory, I'm guessing yours is the latter case.
If so, could you perhaps show the NT security DACL descriptor of that
directory?  There are a couple of utilities floating around, like
subinacl, that can display the DACL in several formats; either SDDL or
human-readable description will be fine.

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I need to simulate the
problem on my machine and see what is going on there, to be able to
diagnose it.  I already tried a few directories that are private to
other users, and never got the error.  So some details are missing for
reproducing your error.

Thanks.