thing-at-point's meaning of current sexp vs. up-list's: which is correct

From: Kelly Dean
Subject: thing-at-point's meaning of current sexp vs. up-list's: which is correct?
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 06:23:51 -0700 (PDT)

If point is on a closing delimiter, then thing-at-point says the delimiter is
part of the current sexp, but up-list says the delimiter is part of the sexp
that contains the current sexp.
The result is that kill-backward-up-list, which assumes that thing-at-point and
up-list have the same meaning for current sexp, fails when point is on a
closing delimiter: type "((a))" and put point on the first closing parenthesis,
then do kill-backward-up-list, and it reinserts the same sexp that it kills,
leaving the text unchanged.
I'll file a bug report, but should I file it for thing-at-point, or for
up-list? Surely not for kill-backward-up-list.