Re: Interface of prog-prettification

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Interface of prog-prettification
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 18:04:40 +0200

On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 4:31 PM, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> wrote:

> That is a claim that 3 people have a use case for it and that one of
> those use cases involves the words TODO and README.
>
> But I don't see any description of a concrete use case here.

Truth be told, I don't have a use case, and Ted's comment about my
position is a misunderstanding, I think. I just pointed out that
composition can compose to strings, not just characters (but that is
not the same that substituting one string of chars by another one).

That said, a facility for making that ("visually" replacing one string
by another) could be useful (via composition, display specs, or
whatever) but I don't think it is something specifically related to
prog mode or symbol prettification. Seems like some sort of
as-yet-unimplemented minor mode to me.

Speaking of which... Why is this symbol prettification some
semi-obscure feature of programming modes, instead of a minor mode to
be enabled by the user however he sees fit?