Re: request to revert the chnage of revno 112925

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: request to revert the chnage of revno 112925
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 08:36:24 -0400

In article <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier
<address@hidden> writes:

> > * What to do with an ASCII file?
> I like the utf-8 better, but either is OK.

> > * What to do with an invalid UTF-8 file.
> Ideally: emit a warning, and then try to find a more appropriate
> coding
> system (e.g. iso-2022).

> > * What to do with null byte detection.
> I like the utf-8 better, but I don't know of any concrete case where
> it
> makes a significant difference, so either way is OK.

Then, how about implementing a coding system slightly
different from `undecided'.  The differences are:

(1) On reading, if a file contains 8-bit bytes and they are
    all valid UTF-8 sequences, detect the source as utf-8
    regardless of the currrent coding priorities.

(2) On writing, if a buffer contains non-ASCII characters,
    encode the buffer contents by utf-8.

How to name it?  Just `undecided-utf-8'?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden