How to restore the layout?

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: How to restore the layout?
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 15:45:12 +0200

When we set desktop-save-mode, we can restore all the buffers of previous session.. but what about the layout (windows, frames etc.)?

For example, suppose one is working with 4 windows (C-x 3 and then, in each window, C-x 2) of different size: one window with a .c buffer, two windows with .h buffers, and another with eshell.

It would be useful, the next morning one starts Emacs, not only to restore all the buffers of previous session but also all the windows (and their size/position) of the previous session..

Is this possible with current (trunk) Emacs?

I would expect that setting(*) desktop-save-mode *does* all this.. After all, those windows, frames etc. are what is the Emacs *desktop*...

Ciao,
 Angelo.

---
(*) Really, I would prefer that all this is enabled by default. Only the user that doesn't like this should disable it.