filenotify.el

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: filenotify.el
Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2013 14:02:38 +0200

Hi,

I have written filenotify.el, which is intended as upper layer for
gfilenotify.c, inotify.c and w32notify.c. This is a simplified
interface, which offers just file change or file attribute change
notifications. I believe this is sufficient for the use-cases in Emacs;
if more fine granular notifications are needed, one could still use one
of the low-level packages.

The package is appended, together with needed changes in subr.el and
autorevert.el. I've tested it with gfilenotify and inotify; the tests
for w32notify I cannot perform as usual. There are still some changes
needed, but basic functionality shall be available.

Beside further tests and bug fixing, I plan to write ert tests as well
as a Tramp file name handler. Documentation is also lacking. But these
steps could be applied later, once there is an agreement about the
interface.

Comments?

Best regards, Michael.