Re: How to restore the layout?

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: How to restore the layout?
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2013 20:27:37 +0200

> 1) When restoring frames, what to do with the existing ones? They can
> be reused, or deleted. Reusing them will cause less "flicker".

The main application is to _restore_ the layout at the _beginning_ of a
session.  This means that the one initial frame would get reused.  And
this will conflict with restoring the layout in the middle of a session
so I wouldn't care too much about this issue.

Let's ignore the next issues for the moment.  Currently, I am too silly
to understand whether and where you set frame parameters and how this
interacts with the setting of window parameters (like margin or fringe
widths).

> All in all, the patch is small and non-intrusive. Perhaps I could
> install it (with desktop-save-windows defaulting to nil) so people
> could experiment and say what works and what doesn't. That would be
> particularly useful from people who use multi-frame setups (Stefan and
> Drew come to mind).

Please do that.

Thanks, martin