Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now

From: Giorgos Keramidas
Subject: Re: Emacs trunk and Gnus master are fully sync'd now
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 18:52:40 +0200

On Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:40:09 +0900, Katsumi Yamaoka <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've merged to the Emacs Bzr trunk the changes that were made in
> the Gnus Git master but haven't yet been merged since February 2012.
> The changes are for mainly the nnimap functions.  There might be
> some unresolved problems; but it is the very reason to open to
> many testers and developers.  I heard it works fine more or less
> (I'm not an IMAP user).  If you meet with a problem, take a look
> at the past discussions in the ding list and try to improve it.

One of the differences I see with the latest version of Gnus is that
accessing Gmail over imap+tls now downloads a lot more data for the
groups:

% nnimap read 0k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please wait)
% nnimap read 27k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please wait)
% nnimap read 123k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please wait)
% [...]
% nnimap read 21163k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please
wait)
% nnimap read 21243k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please
wait)
% nnimap read 21272k from imap.gmail.com (initial sync of 129 groups; please
wait) [3 times]

The next time I start Gnus it tries to do an 'initial sync of 129
groups' all over again, and this delays startup time a lot.

This may be an artifact of my local configuration.  I'll try to clean it
up and post a copy here.