Re: Rename `eww' to `web'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Rename `eww' to `web'
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 05:55:52 -0400

> emacs -Q
> C-x C-f http://www.gnu.org

> I see the HTML code verbatim.

That's arguably right.

> The buffer is on Org mode.  (This is a buglet).

Actually, it's the main problem: url-handler-mode only affects the way
files are accessed, but not the way we try to find/guess meta-data, so
the HTTP header's info (mostly Content-Type:) is completely ignored and
instead we rely on the URL itself via auto-mode-alist.

It would be nice to extend url-handler-mode so that the meta-info from
things the transfer protocol gets preserved and used to choose the
major mode.

> ISTM the magic glue to render - I used shr-render-buffer - is
> missing.

This is yet another needed change, which is to make it show a rendering,
just like opening a PDF file gives us the rendering (via doc-view)
by default.

        Stefan