Re: Fallback mode for image magick?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Fallback mode for image magick?
Date: Sun, 07 Jul 2013 18:59:16 +0300

> From: Klaus-Dieter Bauer <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 7 Jul 2013 11:28:12 +0200
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> > Btw, statically linking against ImageMagick is a no-starter for
> > Windows.  But this can be fixed later, once the statically linked
> > executable works.
> >

> I guess there might be a misunderstanding in my compiling-vocabulary here;
> What I meant is that I compiled with "--ldflags -static".

I understood that you did something like that, so there's no
misunderstanding.  My point was that linking statically against
ImageMagick is unacceptable as general-purpose build procedure for
Windows, because the Windows build loads optional libraries
dynamically when needed (and does not fail or crash if they are not
available).

Of course, for testing purposes, it is perfectly valid to try the
static link, as a shortcut.

> When I compiled this way, emacs would start without complaint when
> any of the DLLs (including jpeg, png etc) were not available, which
> is the behaviour I saw in binary releases for Windows.

Your Emacs is statically linked against ImageMagick libraries, and all
the libraries that ImageMagick depend on.  That includes jpeg, png,
etc.  So it's a small wonder Emacs doesn't complain.

> When I did not use the -static flag and removed the DLLs from PATH, emacs
> would crash on startup saying DLLs are missing.

Because ImageMagick depends on them.  Without ImageMagick, when these
DLLs are absent, there are no complaints (and no image support).