Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Blink cursor changes, possible W32 breakage.
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 16:43:45 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:02:20 +0200
>
> On the GNU/Linux machine I'm writing this message, C-h v shows this:

Thanks.

But I think this whole line of approaching this subject is
fundamentally wrong.

The issue eventually boils down to this: do we want Emacs to be
friendly to laptop batteries, or do we want it not to blink the
cursor?  If the latter, then making blink-cursor off by default is all
we need.  No need for binding frame-focus events or anything like
that.

By contrast, if we want the former, then we need an _infrastructure_
that would make it easy to stop all or just some of the timers from
firing when Emacs is idle, or doesn't have focus, or the machine runs
on batteries, or whatever else condition is deemed appropriate.  It
doesn't matter how many users really run such timers, because even if
there's just one user with just one such timer, the fact that Emacs is
running that timer when that user's laptop is on batteries will be a
bug for that single user of that one timer.