Re: eww

From: John Williams
Subject: Re: eww
Date: Sun, 04 Aug 2013 14:59:52 +1100

> John Williams <address@hidden> writes:

>> Could not deduce mode name from keymap name [8 times]
>> For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
>> Package assoc is obsolete!
>> Contacting host: duckduckgo.com:443
>> gnutls.c: [1] Note that the security level of the Diffie-Hellman key
>> exchange has been lowered to 256 bits and this may allow decryption of
>> the session data
>> -------------------
>>
>> Is the message about assoc being obsolete relevant?
>
> Is it output by eww, or something before you call eww?
By something I call before eww.

> What does
>
> (url-retrieve "https://duckduckgo.com/";
>                (lambda (&rest ignore)
>                  (switch-to-buffer (current-buffer))))
>
> do for you?
It retrieves and displays the requested page in its full HTML glory
(i.e. as text, not rendered).  As I mentioned, calling eww with my
.emacs included produces an error, but `emacs -q` does not.  I saved the two
buffers and diffed them.  The only difference was the timestamps ("Date"
and "Expires").

But now something is different with the way the page is rendered.  When
I previously reported this (perhaps) bug, nothing was displayed at all.
In the intervening time I've changed my .emacs (but don't have a
changelog, sorry) and now the DDG page is _partially_ displayed.  The
top line of the buffer reads "https://duckduckgo.com/html/?q="; and the
cursor is blinking on the next line.

But I can't enter anything, and the text entry field is not displayed.
The eww menu is displayed and works fine.

Thanks for your help,

John