Re: imagemagick format detection code

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: imagemagick format detection code
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2013 20:14:39 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> This said, it's probably no worse than hacking up our own
> classification, so... yes, I guess it's a good plan.  But please make
> them be symbols rather than strings:
>
>  '((image/x-icon . "ico"))

I've now committed an attempt at this.  That is, it works, and one can
now use duckduckgo.com and get nice images in the search results in eww,
but I'm not sure about the implementation.

Perhaps the rummaging around in the alist should have been done on the
elisp side instead of in C.  I always feel that I'm doing something not
quite...  good...  when I'm writing Lisp in C:

  suffix = Fcar (Fcdr (Fassq (content_type, Fsymbol_value (symbol))));

Anyway.

>>> We currently have a bit of a mess wrt to use of "format" and "type"
>>> since they're both used currently to refer to the same thing, which is
>>> not really the type or format of the image but rather something like the
>>> rendering library used.
>> Yes.  This will add to the general confusion in this area.
>
> We should at least rework the doc to use "type" everywhere, so we can
> use :format for the new notion.

Yup.

  No Gnus T-Shirt for sale: http://ingebrigtsen.no/no.php
  and http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no/2013/08/twenty-years-of-september.html