Re: Simple lisp-tests.el and commit privs

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Simple lisp-tests.el and commit privs
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 00:23:12 +0300

Barry OReilly <address@hidden> writes:

> Stefan:
>> Currently, the way I like to handle indentation tests is by adding
>> files in test/indent/ where the file simply contains a pre-indented
>> content, and the Makefile lets you "reindent, then run diff to see
>> if something changed".
>
> I couldn't tell, since test/automated has ERT indentation tests for
> Python, Ruby, and Fortran.

Those are written by people other than Stefan, e.g. me.

There was a relevant discussion not too long ago, in emacs-diffs (sorry,
my fault):
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-diffs/2013-05/msg00275.html

It concluded with a corollary to use the files in test/indent for simple
indentation tests, and ERT for more complex stuff.

Yet, as reluctant as I was to disagree, I couldn't eventually bring
myself to take the [separate, uniquely named] indentation tests from
ruby-mode-test.el and lump them together, so to speak, into ruby.rb.

So, as far as I'm concerned, a better solution would be to extend ERT
runner with a command that would pop a buffer in which a test had
failed, so that the programmer can "try out sexp movement and
indentation functions "in the usual way", together with Edebug if
needed", as per Stefan's explanation.