Re: ELPA commit freeze

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: ELPA commit freeze
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 20:51:17 -0400

> To have the description recognized by both Elpa and Melpa, currently I'd
> have to keep the same text in README.md and Commentary.  And
> describe-package' buffer from Melpa would end up looking better due to not
> having extraneous info.

I don't think MELPA is very important here.  I guess you use it so as to
distribute snapshots of the code, but I think we need that for ELPA
anyway (we already have it for Org, tho it's terribly ad-hoc).

So assuming we'll have a "GNU ELPA snapshots" archive (help welcome),
this is a non-problem.

>> Why?  Why not move the info from company.el to README.md (where it can
>> be made prettier while you're at it)?
> It already has a homepage that has all that info. It's prettier than the
> github page due to having some dedicated styling.
> Putting the same stuff on the homepage and in README.md would, again, result
> in duplication, or at least some non-trivial work by automating the export
> from the latter into the former. It's doable, but the link works just
> as good.

You currently have duplication between Commentary: and the homepage.
I'm just suggesting to move that duplication from Commentary: to
README.md.  So duplication-wise it's no worse than what we
currently have.

        Stefan