Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Can't build latest emacs on MSW + CRLF display issue
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 18:02:51 +0300

> From: Vincent Belaïche <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2013 13:52:53 +0200
> Cc: Karl Berry <address@hidden>
>
> I have been trying to build the latest emacs on MSWindowsXP + MinGW and
> I came across the following issues:
>
> - during the build I get the following error message
>
> In toplevel form:
> url/url-proxy.el:24:1:Error: Symbol's function definition is void: cl-member
>

> - during the make-install I get the following error message
>
> gcc -o oo-spd/i386/profile.exe  -gdwarf-2 -g3    oo-spd/i386/profile.o
> ../lib/oo-spd/i386/libgnu.a oo-spd/i386/ntlib.o   -ladvapi32
> mingw32-make.exe[1]: Leaving directory
> `C:/Programme/GNU/installation/emacs-install/emacs/trunk/lib-src'
> mingw32-make.exe[1]: *** No rule to make target
> `../lisp/international/mule.elc', needed by `DOC'.  Stop.
> mingw32-make.exe: *** [all-other-dirs-gmake] Error 2

This method of building Emacs on Windows is deprecated and slowly
bitrots.  See nt/INSTALL.MSYS for the supported method.

Or, if, as I'm guessing, you don't really want to build Emacs, just to
try a recent development snapshot, use one of the places where
precompiled binaries are available (they were announced on this list
not too long ago).

> Anyway, the build has gone far enough so that I have an emacs.exe with
> the latest source, and it confirmed a problem which I had with my
> previous build, the display of ^M at ends of lines seems buggy:
>
> Here are two pictures:
>
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=28919
> http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/download.php?file_id=28920
>
> Both pictures concern visiting info files, but the first one (cr.info)
> has the ^M hidden, and the second one (bbdb.info) has the ^M shown.

The first one, cr.info, doesn't have ^M characters at all, as
evidenced by the "/" mnemonics at the left corner of the mode line.

> My feeling is that there is some inconsistency, but maybe I
> misunderstood the criterion that triggers ^M hiding.

If Emacs shows the ^M characters, it means that either (a) the EOL is
inconsistent, or (b) Emacs decided that the file is binary.  In your
case, the "=" at the left of the mode line suggests the latter
possibility.  Without looking at the file in its entirety, I cannot
tell why that could be the case.

> Both info files have consistent CRLF endings which I checked with the
> attached eol_status.cpp tool.

The best way of checking is to visit the file with
"M-x find-file-literally", then looking for lines that end in ^J
without a ^M.

> I must say also that I met a problem on bbdb.info which then I could
> never reproduce: at some point of time it was displayed w/o the ^M at
> for almost the whole file except in the last few tens lines where the ^M
> endings were displayed.

I suspect that you are producing these Info files in some strange
way.  Perhaps you mix MSYS and MinGW programs, such as install-info
and Perl, or something else.  Mixing MSYS and native programs is known
to produce strange effects wrt EOL format.

Anyway, given the long thread on bug-texinfo about related issues,
what exactly is the purpose of this discussion?  If you think there's
a bug in Emacs's Info reader, then please provide the shortest Info
file that can be used to reproduce the problem, starting with "emacs -Q".
If your goal is something else, please state what that is.

Thanks.