Re: the state of the concurrency branch

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: the state of the concurrency branch
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:24:32 +0300

> From: Tom Tromey <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 13:14:24 -0600
>
> Eli>  . Finally, if condition variables are unavailable (they are a pain on
> Eli>    Windows, since only the latest versions support them natively), is
> Eli>    it still possible to have threads, just without some
> Eli>    synchronization features?  Or are condition variables currently a
> Eli>    must for the threading mechanism itself?
>
> I think it would be better if all platforms supported the same primitives.

I agree.  The question was more an attempt to understand how deeply
does the threading implementation depend on Lisp mutexes and condition
variables.

> Condition variables can be implemented in a number of ways.
> libjava already has a Windows port you can lift from.

You mean libjava that is part of GCC?  Thanks, I will look at that.
(I already saw a few solutions, and have an idea of an implementation,
but the more ideas the better.)