Re: URL-like Tramp syntax

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: URL-like Tramp syntax
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2013 10:05:00 +0200

Davis Herring <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Davis,

> You've written recently about the inherent ambiguities of Tramp file
> name syntax.  Is the URL syntax (or, for that matter, the third syntax)
> less problematic in this regard?  It might be better to switch to it
> than away from it...

I don't believe this is preferred. Tramp's URL-like syntax competes with
url-handlers.el. This is another reason I believe we should remove it
from Tramp.

If we want to solve the ambiguities in Tramp's primary syntax, we should
change the separator between methods and user/host names. Or we should
switch to the syntax used in XEmacs. But that's another story.

> Davis

Best regards, Michael.